Tuesday, January 5, 2010

First Hike of 2010

Now that the New Year is here, I need to start hiking whenever I get the opportunity to keep myself in shape for the PCT. Thankfully the Vedugo mountains are right down the street. They offer a great workout due to their steepness.
There were a few wildflowers blooming most likely a result of last month's rain.
California Aster (above)

Looking towards Griffith Park, Mount Hollywood, and the Pacific Ocean.

Cliff Aster (above)

Looking towards the burn areas in the Angeles National Forest, Strawberry Peak, and Mount Wilson to the far right.

Black Mustard? (above)


Red Stem Filaree (above)
Prickly cryptantha (above)

Sticky Monkeyflower

While hiking up the trail, I tried to be mindful about what my body was feeling. I tried to keep a steady pace where my breathing was just right. If the trail became steep, I'd slow down my steps to keep my breathing under control. If the trail leveled out, I allowed a quicker pace as long as my breathing was steady. I started to think about some of the older hikers I met on the JMT who seemed to have a real good understanding of what their bodies were capable of. I also started thinking about the feeling of unhappiness. Often, when our bodies are physically injured in some way, we feel pain. Perhaps we start to bleed. It's our body's way of telling us something is wrong. I think the same thing is true of unhappiness. It's our soul's way of telling us something is wrong. Just as it is important to learn first aid, or take care of our physical injuries, I think it's important to learn how to take care of our emotional injuries as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment