Saturday, January 9, 2010

Skyline Trail (Griffith Park)

I woke up early this morning to take a hike before heading to work for the day. I took a trail in Griffith Park that I've never done before called the Skyline Trail. It's amazing how seeing the same mountains every day, but at different angles, is rejuvenating. The weather has been absolutely perfect lately, and it was an ideal morning to break in my new trail runners. They arrived in the mail a couple of days ago and I intend to hike the Pacific Crest Trail with them. I've always used boots in the past when hiking long distances, but trail runners seem to be the shoe of choice amongst veteran thru-hikers. I thought I'd give them a shot.

Mule fat (male flowers, above)
Twiggy Wreathplant (above)
I found myself being drawn towards the wildflowers again today. In what appears to be a barren landscape at times, the flowers add excitement to my hikes strangely enough. I never know what will be blooming day after day, and when I stumble across a specimen I've never seen before, it's like finding a 10 dollar bill on the ground. I've noticed that I can spot flowers growing in places that I couldn't see before. It's like my eyes have been opened, and my spirit enriched. I started thinking about other areas where one's life could be enriched while hiking. Knowledge of the rocks, clouds, stars, animals, trees, just to name a few. I started thinking about other areas outside of hiking that would be interesting to discover, if only my eyes were opened.
When I flew back to LA last week, I saw a man walking in Dulles airport staring in awe of some cables that I assume were holding up the ceiling. He must have been an engineer or something. Judging by the expression on his face, I almost thought he was walking in Yosemite Valley looking up towards Half Dome. Clearly, this man was enjoying what he was seeing. It's almost as if there is treasure awaiting anyone who is willing to slow down a bit and look for it, whether it's outside on a trail, or inside an airport.






First Lupine of 2010!

It's interesting, when I lived on the East Coast, whenever I would go hiking in a mountainous area, I found my eyes being drawn to the West knowing that's where adventure and wilderness seemed to be found. Now that I am in Southern California and the Pacific Ocean is only 20 miles to the West, I find my eyes being drawn North towards the Sierra, straining to perhaps catch a glimpse of a distant snowy peak.

Wishbone Bush (above)

South Coast Morning Glory (above)
View towards Tongva Peak (yesterday's hike.)

2 comments:

  1. That guy at Dulles may have been trying to figure out how to blow up the airport. Ha, ha, ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Somehow describing a man looking for airports to blow up didn't quite fit in with the story. Maybe I could have written about all the wildflowers I saw and wanted to trample or beat with sticks after taking their pictures.

    ReplyDelete