Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Birding

While drinking coffee this morning before work, I was parked in a lot in town that borders a large farm field. I had some time to kill, so I was listening to NPR and watching birds fly around from tree to tree.


After finishing my coffee, I was pleased to see that I left my binoculars on the passenger seat. I decided to see if I could spot any of the birds in the field. It was actually quite fun. Wearing glasses, it was a challenge to spot an interesting bird, remove my glasses, bring the binoculars to my eyes, and then hit the correct location. I think I saw an American goldfinch.


Anyhow, after work, I decided to head to the Deerwood trail and try again. It was a new experience, as I had to rely on my ears this time. Once I could locate a bird, again, I had to spot it before it flew away. It was more fun than I imagined. I was a nutty birder today.


Overall, a nice day to be out and about...

1 comment:

  1. Mark, you should spend about 10 minutes in my neighborhood if you want to see lots of interesting birds. The diversity here, being in a suburb, is amazing.

    ReplyDelete