Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Transition in Progress

One question I heard bounced around at ADZPCTKO last weekend was "How's your transition coming along?" To be honest, it's still taking place. I have not been feeling the best lately, I think part of it is because I'm aware of the fact that I've gone from being in the best shape of my life, to what feels like the worst in just a matter of months.

I don't mean to be a downer, in fact, I usually try to avoid such topics on this blog. However, that was my main thought on today's hike. I heard many birds flying amongst the Redwoods this morning, and thought about them spending a majority of their time outside. So quickly, I now bounce from one controlled environment to the next, and I have no one to blame for it but myself.

So far, I'm not happy with my limited hiking options, and I've been too lazy to make the effort to expand my horizons. I thought about how the PCT seems to create this illusion that wilderness is everywhere, and the land is free and open for travel. It's an amazing feeling, but very unrealistic now that I'm back in civilization. I'm still very bothered that I can't just walk wherever I want to.

Nonetheless, it was a great day to be out for a walk. There were many giant slugs on the trail today, and I had to watch my step so not to step on them.

After hiking for about an hour in Jackson State Forest, I took a short walk on the bluffs in Ft. Bragg. The wildflowers are really coming out now, the first lupine of the season are blooming near the ocean.







I would assume that the next month should be really nice along the coast...

No comments:

Post a Comment