Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Jackson Demonstration Forest

 I took a short hike after work up an old logging road in Jackson Demonstration Forest. What can I say? A logged redwood forest looks and feels completely trashed. I wish every American, every human could see and feel the difference between an old growth redwood forest and a logged one. The difference is stark. At the same time, part of me feels grateful to experience both. A logged redwood forest gets me thinking immediately. I can't help but feel bad for our species. I can't help but think we still have a long way to go. Like a high school marching band, complete with botched performances and notes painful to the ear, walking through this section of forest just plain feels wrong. The performance is poor. It's a failing grade. Do we have the potential to improve? The forest looked like a war zone today. We can and hopefully will do better. It is my hope that we are experiencing the days like someone walking through their city post war. Hopefully, we are at a time where we can once again start to rebuild. It shouldn't be like this. Ever since I was a kid, I've felt the golden rule should also apply to plants and animals. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

No comments:

Post a Comment