Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Ponderosa Pine

 The Ponderosa Pine is a tree that has been growing on me lately, no pun intended of course. Today I had to drive to a place called Hidden Valley for work, I have no idea where I was, other than I saw a forest of Ponderosa Pines and wanted to set the bar with a few measurements.
 These trees were fairly large, but I've seen larger ones while driving all around the county. Today I just had to stop since I had my measuring tape with me. I had time to measure about two trees before it got too dark.
 The bark on both trees had holes all over it. Woodpeckers? The photo below was taken on one of my trips towards Humboldt county. According to Michael Taylor's website, the tallest Ponderosa Pine comes in at 268.29 feet a tree in Southwest Oregon.

No comments:

Post a Comment