Saturday, April 14, 2012

Montgomery Woods

I was fortunate to have the morning off from work yesterday, and didn't have to be at the coast until the afternoon. I decided to head up to Montgomery Woods for the morning, the day after another major rain event. The alluvial plane was filled with water, and I'd imagine the trees were loving it. 


 I was very fortunate to have the grove all to myself for the two whole hours I was there. I'm having a bit of a conflict these days. I'm feeling like the most invasive species around especially when it comes to Montgomery Woods. I have to battle with my conscience to stay on the trail. Today, my conscience lost, as I wanted to see some trees up close that the trail doesn't allow. The redwood sorrel (the clover) seem so fragile, and you can practically see a trail emerge from walking on them once.


 I continued to look for "the ghost of Montgomery" but came up empty once again. After leaving the grove, I drove the rest of the way to the coast along a road I've only taken once before. It's still startling, embarrassing actually, to see mile after mile of logged forest all the way to the ocean.


For now, we still have this gorgeous grove to visit. If you are ever in the area, it's well worth the drive to see these ancient giants.

2 comments:

  1. I'm that way too anytime I'm off trail. My big old boots are just so clumsy and the plants are so fragile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's some nice photography. Great use of the soft morning light.

    ReplyDelete