Friday, March 15, 2013

CDT Planning: March 15, 2013

As I continue tracing the Jonathan Ley routes to my Delorme Maps, I can already begin to imagine how those who hike this trail must learn to be OK with becoming lost, or "misplaced" as others like to call it. One regret I already have is that I should have forked out the extra money to get the 11x17 maps. I really like to look at and study a good map, and the 8x11's are really hard to read. In many places, the words on the map like creek, street, or mountain names are unreadable. This is not a complaint, more of a warning to future hikers. I have found myself already looking at the Delorme's more often to read the names of the surrounding features, and I think it would be ideal if it were the other way around. It seems that a little more time will be required to pinpoint exactly where you are using the 8x11's because of many of the unreadable names. Many hikers in the past have used the 8x11's and survived, so I'm hoping to do the same. Anyhow, this process of tracing the maps continues to be fun. This weekend, I hope to spend a lot of time working on this.

No comments:

Post a Comment