Sunday, June 29, 2014

Children's Forest (Humboldt Redwoods State Park)

Seasonal bridge from William's grove across the Eel to the Children's Forest.

46 feet, 4 in cbh
44 feet, 6 in cbh

Sea horse tree

Chinese house tree

I took a hike in the Children's Forest in Humboldt Redwoods State Park for the first time yesterday. I'll rank the Children's Forest near the top of my favorite places in the park. The bridge from William's grove to the Children's Forest is in place for the summer. William's grove was filled with campers yesterday. Despite this, I didn't see a single person in the Children's Forest and had the grove to myself. The grove is large enough to feel somewhat swallowed by the forest. It is surrounded by logged forest so it doesn't take long to leave the majesty of the old growth, but for a while, one can feel lost in time. I ate lunch on the banks of the Eel and enjoyed the warm sun and summer breeze. Traveling through the grove is also enjoyable whether on trail or off. Unfortunately, I did find another tiny deer tick embedded in my arm afterwards, so ticks are still out there. Mosquitoes also were thick in spots. Otherwise, a gem of a hike.

No comments:

Post a Comment