Monday, March 2, 2015

Redwood Photo Debate

The debate continues in the tree community about online postings of certain redwood trees, location information, careless posts or photos, which eventually lead to habitat destruction, and worst case scenario, tree damage. It's a similar debate in the long distance trail hiking community where books, blogs, and movies like "Wild" are increasing popularity of trails, which in turn can create certain habitat and social stress with larger numbers of people on them.

One member of the tree community pointed out how John Muir's quote "Take nothing but memories, leave nothing but footprints," may fall short at this moment in history, at least in the redwood forest. It's clear how just one trek off trail can practically create a new path, as the vegetation is so fragile. Multiple treks off trail in the same spot, and a new trail is absolutely created.

I've tried to be careful with my blog as far as what I post, how much info is given etc etc. I'm trying not to be an elitist asshole, I just don't want to take any chances. I could never forgive myself if something I posted created the destruction of one of the trees. I've deleted many photos and posts over time. Every now and then I will look back on the content of this blog and think "What the hell was I thinking?" and delete the post or photo as it may be too risky as far as revealing locations of certain redwood trees. If I am to be honest with myself, there is probably a bit of ego involved. I'm trying my best to smash my ego if possible, and understand I have a way to go to be more disciplined with my pictures and posts as I try to chart a course forward. I love getting out into the forest, I love trying to capture the best image possible, and I want to share those images, but I have to do it responsibly. Anyhow, the conversation continues, and hopefully this blog will reflect some results from that conversation...

1 comment:

  1. Great blog. I appreciate your restraint in not putting out too much information about specific locations, naming trees, etc... Along those lines, I'd like to share something you might be interested in. My email is livenow@hotmail.com

    Thanks,

    John

    ReplyDelete