Friday, April 24, 2015

Founder's Grove


My work commute has allowed me to visit Humboldt Redwoods State Park on a regular basis for the last year and a half. For a long time, I tended to stay away from the Founder's Grove because it always seemed too crowded, and I wanted to see more of the less visited spots.  Over time, I have really begun to appreciate this grove, and do believe it is one of the best in the park. I'll be honest, some of the groves in HRSP can feel creepy for whatever reason. In fact, I was in one yesterday that I have visited several times, and every time I go in there I get a bad feeling. Founder's Grove has never felt that way to me at least. It always seems cheery, welcoming and inviting.

I have a friend in town who once lived in the canopy of a giant old redwood tree doing activism work for 6 months. The stories he tells of that time are fascinating. While living in the tree, he once told me, there were places in the actual tree he was living in that he didn't feel comfortable going, and places that he believed held a little more spiritual power. Perhaps like spots on the human body. Anyhow, sometimes I feel like the Founder's Grove is one of those spots in Humboldt Redwoods State Park that holds a little more power. It's well worth the visit...

No comments:

Post a Comment