Sunday, September 25, 2016

Cedar/ White Oak: Louden County, VA

 Cedar Height: 85.76 ft. (St. Paul's Cemetery Louden County, VA)

Stately Cedar at St. Paul's Cemetery: Louden County, VA

White Oak: 74.78 feet tall

Is this a swamp white oak?
 I drove out to Louden County, VA yesterday to go to a party at an old friend's house. The drive took me right near Harpers Ferry into the Appalachian Mountains. From my friend's house, you can see the ridge where the Appalachian Trail passes north and south.

Along the way, I wanted to measure a couple of trees I've had my eye on. One was a beautiful cedar growing in the cemetery at St Paul's Community Church along Harpers Ferry Road. The cemetery has tombstones dating back to the 1800's. I would guess the tree is also pretty old, one of the taller cedars I have seen so far.

Also along the way, was a big ol' white oak growing on somebody's farm. The leaves looked different from what I am used to seeing. I wonder if it's a swamp white oak?

No comments:

Post a Comment