Monday, August 28, 2017

Colorado Trail 2017: Sections 1-5 (July 11th-17th)

Flying to Denver

Beginning of Trail

Bighorn sheep in the canyon



Hiking through burn area before Buffalo Creek Firehouse





Moosie stands next to large bristlecone pine

Lost Creek Wilderness in rain. Last time I was here was over 15 years ago with my brother.







Small town of Jefferson

Town of Fairplay

Fairplay

Moosie and I cleaned up, rested, and resupplied in the town of Fairplay. Hitching back up to Kenosha Pass to start section 6.
Moosie and I began our southbound hike of the Colorado Trail on July 11th 2017. After flying to Denver, an unbelievably generous trail angel picked us up from the airport and drove us to Waterton Canyon, the start of the CT (Colorado Trail) about 45 minutes away. Before we knew it, we were back on the trail.

As could be expected, the first week on trail was an adjustment period. Thankfully, the trail leaving Waterton Canyon was nicely graded and elevation increased gradually, giving us plenty of time to acclimate. Our first day on trail started with sun and ended with afternoon rain, a trend that would last almost the entire hike.

Personally, I felt out of sync the first week. It had been a year and a half since stepping off the Appalachian Trail in 2015, and I definitely noticed my "edge" was gone, and I felt self conscious during our first resupply stop, did not like feeling wet, dirty, smelly, and did not like traveling without my vehicle. I had to remind myself to be patient, and let go of control which was difficult.

Otherwise, scenery was great. Moosie and I commented how the trail seemed to be created by "artisans," twisting and turning, rising and falling, providing certain views for maximum effect. We were fortunate to see bighorn sheep and a green rattlesnake in Waterton canyon. Temperatures were warm for the most part, and there were very few mosquitoes. Walking through several stands of ancient looking bristle cone pines was a highlight for me. Also passing briefly through the Lost Creek Wilderness was nostalgic. Last time I had been there was over 15 years ago during a two week trip with my brother. It still looked the same as I remembered, complete with thunder storms, dead trees, and meadows. Thankfully this time I did not get lost (a story for a different time!)

I tried to be mindful about staying hydrated during the first few days which tends to be a problem as the body adjusts to its new environment. I also taped up any hot spots that developed on my feet right away which prevented blisters. One thing I had forgotten about was how exposed western trails can be. I had to be mindful about how much sun I was exposed to, which I didn't do as good a job as I should have. I wore pants, long sleeves, and a hat, but my hands and face were repeatedly sunburned throughout the trip. The first week, I definitely felt "sun stressed."

Overall, it was as good a week as could be expected. After resupplying and spending a night in the town of Fairplay, Moosie and I were ready to get back to the trail...

1 comment:

  1. Awesome to see the old campsite. Looks exactly like I remember it!

    ReplyDelete